Breakthrough Business Strategies Radio Winners Policy #BBSradio
For the past couple of years I have been serving a unpaid public service to both my guests and my listeners by asking guests who have books we are interviewing on #BBSradio to offer FREE copies to listeners.
I do this for a couple of reasons
To help authors
…get their book in hands of readers, to help authors receive more reviews, and to spread the word on their books. Rewarding listeners who show a high level of participation gives their book marketing stronger legs.
To help listeners
… the rewards to the listeners are immense. Giving them the ability to connect directly with the author through their work – be rewarded for listening to the interview, giving them double returns for making time to listen to interview – helping listener been seen as a thought leader in social space by interacting online around the authors topic, and gaining a depth of knowledge that would not occur without both the interview and book together.
Here is the challenge
This gift I perform each week is just that, a gift. It is not part of a paid campaign. I have limited resources (meaning I am running my business like many of you) I do not have an assistant or producer to spread the time it takes to create the radio show each week. Many have no idea what goes into creating an original content show like #BBSradio. I understand, so I will share to expand every-one’s knowledge.
- Research, finding new books that fit the topics of #BBSradio
- Uncovering who is their publicist – then starting the email process to book them.
- Going back and forth until we find a date that works for the time slots available and their schedule mesh.
- Gathering their bio, pic,s book, cover, videos, social links, etc…
- Reading their books (Yup I really read them)
- Creating framing blog post – which covers both featured guest, weekly tips team and any additional guest we are able to acquire.
- Creating the shows timeline and announcements – giving shout outs to supporters who either tweet, comment or share their insights or questions on twitter, facebook or the blog posts.
- Crafting tweets to promote all the guests and their topics.
- Tweeting, posting, sharing in multiple platforms – Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, G+
- Engaging with folks via twitter before, during and after the show – extracting their questions, thoughts and passing on their ah ha moments.
- Reading and responding to all communications about show on all platforms.
- Picking winners of books that are donated and paid for many times out of the authors pocket ( including having them shipped)
- Announcing winners, then searching which platform the responded to with their mailing address to pass on to the publisher so their books can be shipped.
- Then sending off to publishers so they can ship winners their books.
Every so often the ball gets dropped on either end – mine or the publisher. I can say in the past 4 years I have only dropped the ball 3 times. Publisher or authors have dropped the ball less than 6 times. We are human.
*** I DO NOT keep winners addresses on file ***
Sometimes we have had to hold up shipping, because winners may have missed announcements or were busy and did not answer promptly. This has caused an issue every so often where emails were waiting and did not get sent because frankly, I thought they were already sent – only to remember we were waiting for a winner’s response. Is there a system that might be better? I am sure – am I investing in another work process to give away free books – probably not. Again it is a bandwidth restriction.
So here is my choice and decision
If winners choose not to respond in 24 hours I am giving your book to another winner. If you feel I need to be keeping track of your address, I am choosing another winner. I lovingly remind you I am doing this weekly as a gift – this is not a paid campaign. If you choose not to support the radio show because of my choice, I can live with that.
For all of you who have been supporters for these past 4 years and even new ones from last month – I am grateful you understand how this show is a gift of love to and for the benefit of our business community.
Now let me go find who we can bring to expand your knowledge and inspire you next brilliant action to grow your business.